There are thousands of good quotes on the subject of photography, most of them by great photographers and thinkers. Here is my current top 10. If I wrote this post a month from now, I’m sure I’d find other suitable candidates. These all resonate with me and tell a lot about the art of making photographs. If you have a favorite quote that I didn’t include here, please share it in the comments section. I’m looking forward to getting to know them.
1. You don’t take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams
2 . Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst. ~Henri Cartier-Bresson
3. A portrait is not a likeness. The moment an emotion or fact is transformed into a photograph it is no longer a fact but an opinion. There is no such thing as inaccuracy in a photograph. All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth. ~Richard Avedon
4. There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams
5. Photography helps people to see. ~Berenice Abbott
6. Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. ~Imogen Cunningham
7. If I have any ‘message’ worth giving to a beginner it is that there are no short cuts in photography. ~Edward Weston
8. When people ask what equipment I use – I tell them my eyes. ~Anonymous
9. Never forget that all the great photographs in history were made with more primitive camera equipment than you currently own. ~Brooks Jensen
10. The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera. ~Dorothea Lange
So, what are your favorite photography quotes?